thanks to Trung W6TN I’m able to show you detailed information on how to control remotely your KX3 using a Raspberry Pi and an Android device with KX3 Companion in it.
Here are the instructions by Trung W6TN:
These steps are only about the audio part of KX3Companion Remote. (the remote control part is here: https://kx3companion.com/kx3remote/)
I used three devices: an Android phone (OnePlus One), a Raspberry Pi2, and a Macbook Pro. I bought a USB Audio card from plugable.com (via Amazon)
- Go to this website to install both Mumble Server & Mumble Client on the Raspberry Pi2
There is a link to mumble.org where all Mumble Client for different OS are there.
Note: There is a circular way to install Mumble Client for Raspberry Pi2, you can click on the “Download Linux Client Version 1.2.8”, which will lead to another link
Essentially, the command is “apt-get install mumble” or “sudo apt-get install mumble”
- Install a Mumble Client on Macbook (or Windows-based computer)
- Install Plumble (a Mumble Client) on an Android phone (or tablet)
- Force default sound module to be disabled and the new usb sound card is enabled by following instruction here:
- Adjust input and output level of the USB sound card by following instruction here:
Use an iPod or sound source (like Pandora from a smartphone) to play continuously while recording a test as suggested on this link. Remember the card number of the USB sound card, more likely zero (not 1).
- Run Mumble client from multiple devices: Pi2, Macbook, or Android phone. Try testing connection at least from the Macbook and the Android phone.
- Run the recorded sound test from Pi2 and listen from either Macbook or Android phone. Adjust the volume as previously stated.
- Finally, start from fresh then either run KX3Companion first, Mumble second or vice versa
Thanks a lot again to Trung W6TN for spending so much time testing the solution.
It works great and simply needs a Raspberry Pi2 (maybe it also works on with a Raspberry Pi but haven’t tried it yet) and a USB Audio card for it.
Enjoy it and please report your success and problems so we can try to help you setup your complete KX3 remote solution 😉
72/73 Andrea IU4APC